Wednesday 17 October 2007

A Note From Nelson DeMille.

In my last Newsletter of January 2007, I said that I would be "cloistered for a while," writing the sequel to THE GOLD COAST, and that I wouldn't be able to get out another Newsletter until May or June. Well, May and June have come and gone, and I didn't get the Newsletter written, and I'm still working on the sequel to THE GOLD COAST.

The good news for fans of the original
GOLD COAST, published in 1990, is that the sequel is as good as or better than the original. How do I know this? Well, my agent says it is, and he never lies to me.

The
GOLD COAST sequel is not yet titled, but if I bring back a dead character from the original, then I'll call it THE COLD GHOST. And for those who asked, publication date is set for early October 2008.

More good news: The paperback edition of my last novel,
WILD FIRE, will be published on November 1st, which is very soon. This paperback will come out in a different size format than most paperbacks --- it will be narrower and taller --- so it will be easier to hold, and to slip into your pocket --- after you've paid for it, of course. Also, the new shape makes it an easier stocking stuffer, even if your foot is still in the stocking.

Thousands of readers over the years have asked me if I'm going to write a sequel to
THE LION'S GAME, which was published in 2000, and now I can say that my next book, after the sequel to THE GOLD COAST, will be the sequel to THE LION'S GAME. I'm really looking forward to the final confrontation between John Corey and Asad Khalil, and I know that they, too, are looking forward to trying to kill each other. The survivor goes on to star in the next book.

A number of readers have asked me to group the books which feature the same leading characters, so I'll do that here: The John Corey novels, in order of publication, are ---
PLUM ISLAND, THE LION'S GAME, NIGHT FALL, and WILD FIRE.

The Paul Brenner novels are ---
THE GENERAL'S DAUGHTER and UP COUNTRY.

All the rest feature stand-alone characters.

Another FAQ: the movies. As of now, Alec Baldwin is interested in starring in
THE GOLD COAST, and if this happens, production will begin in Spring ‘08; Bregman Productions will produce the film, based on a screenplay by Michael Bregman. As I get more information, I'll pass it on.

There is more exciting news about possible movies made from my novels, and I'll put this in my next Newsletter.

Also in the Good News Department, earlier this year, I was elected President of the Mystery Writers of America. I thereby join a long and illustrious list of American and international writers in this genre who have served as president of this fine organization since 1945, and I am honored to have been chosen by my peers to be among those giants of American literature. If you want to know more about the Mystery Writers of America, please visit their website at
Mystery Writers of America.

As I've said in the past, I thank you all for taking the time to e-mail me, and though I can't reply personally to everyone, I do read each and every e-mail, and every snail mail.

My best wishes to everyone for a happy and safe Thanksgiving, surrounded by family and friends. And here's John Corey's recipe for turkey stuffing: Three paperback copies of
WILD FIRE soaked overnight in beer (remove covers), parsley, salt and pepper. Bon appetit!

Best wishes,

Nelson

1 comment:

RoseCovered Glasses said...

Nelson,

I have read all your works and enjoyed them. We have indeed come a long way since OCS.